Men can be extremely confusing sometimes, and mixed signals are seriously frustrating when a girl is trying to determine the next step in a prospective relationship. Unfortunately, there's no real single answer to the question of how to tell if a guy likes you. Every guy will express his interest in his own way, so you will need to get to know him better in order to interpret all of his actions. Nevertheless, there are things you can look out for, such as signs of flirting or other behavioral cues, that will help gauge his interest.
When men flirt, they generally give off cues that exude their masculinity. If your notice that a guy is exhibiting any of these behaviors or gestures, then it's likely that he's flirting with you! Get your flirtatious grove on and flirt back.These include:
- Arches his back.
- Sways his pelvis.
- Laughs loudly.
- Tugs his tie.
- Clasps back of his neck.
- Squares his shoulders.
- Puffs his chest.
- Stiffens his stance.
- Teases you in a friendly manner.
- Winks as you from a distance.
- Smiles suggestively.
- Engages in direct eye contact.
- Casually touches you.
Men, often, are quite literal with their feelings and intentions. There is no beating around the bush. If he likes you, he may just come right out and say it. It should be pretty self-evident that a guy likes you if he says he does. Although you may be tempted to second-guess his intentions or try to read deeper meaning into what he says, guys are usually pretty good at telling you exactly what they think about something. If he says he's into you, he probably is.
If he hasn't said anything, you may want to just ask! Although it might feel uncomfortable or embarrassing at first to be so straightforward, you can save yourself a lot of second-guessing. Most guys will probably be relieved at an opportunity to explain how they feel. If he doesn't seem sure how he feels or dodges the subject, you know that you're probably wasting your time with him and can move on to more enthusiastic prospects.
Things to Watch Out For
Now that you know what to look for when flirting, here are few things that you want to avoid. If you notice a man exhibiting any of these behaviors, escape now.
- He walks over with over-confidence.
- He approaches in a controlling manner and dominates the conversation.
- He invades your personal space right away.
How to Approach Him
If all has gone well and you've read his cues properly, he'll either approach you, or you can approach him. Tread carefully either way. If he's approaching, you don't want to do anything to undermine his confidence. Remember, it takes a lot for a man to just walk up to a woman and talk to her. If you're approaching him, remember that you're sending out signals during the approach that could make or break you before you even have a chance to talk!
- Lock eyes for a few seconds, then drop your gaze. Eye contact is a sign of openness. Most men will pick up on this flirtatious and approach you.
- If the guy is approaching you, be classy and charming. He's probably nervous and a bit worried about rejection. Take these into consideration and play nice.
- While he's approaching, smile suggestively. Experts agree that smiling is one of the most important things you can do to make yourself more attractive and approachable.
Once he's arrived (or you have), it's time to get the conversation started.
- Speak slowly and with direct statements rather than abstract ones. Remember that men are less 'emotional' than women.
- Laugh at his jokes, but don't overdo it.
- Keep your eyes on him, but glance away. Men tend to not engage in direct eye contact as much as women.
- Ask him about his job as Men tend to define themselves by their careers.
- Find common ground. The most important aspect of your conversation is to find out what you have in common, be it hobbies, friends, jobs, or whatnot.
- Don't talk about yourself too much. Answer his questions, but be sure to ask questions about him as well.
The way a man dresses gives you clues to his personality. Pay attention to the following:
- Are his top few buttons unbuttoned?
- Is he dressed casually? Or more formally?
- Is his appearance neat and clean?
Other Things To Look For.
There's a few behavioral signs to look out for as well...
- He'll want to spend time with you. A guy who likes you will make time in his schedule to see you. If he spontaneously drops by your workplace or texts you randomly throughout the day, there's a pretty good chance that he likes you. If he seems to be busy every time you talk to him or is always forgetting your plans, he's probably not that into you.
- He asks you about yourself. A truly interested guy won't spend all of his time talking about himself; he'll also try to get to know you better. He'll ask you about your interests, how your day went or what your plans are for the week. More importantly, he actually listens to what you say.
- He remembers things you've told him. A guy who pays attention to you and remembers things you've said is a guy who's genuinely interested in you as a person. The interest may be friendly or it could be romantic, but any time a guy recalls things from previous conversations it's a good sign that he likes you.
- He's happy to see you. If a guy really likes you, he'll look forward to seeing you even if he's too busy to hang out. He'll perk up when he sees you, and you'll be able to hear a smile in his voice when you call.