If you're looking for a truly creative and romantic anniversary idea to celebrate this year, put together an anniversary time capsule! You'll have fun reminiscing over your year as you find those special items that you want to store. When you open it in the future, you'll love revisiting those past important moments in your life together.
What to Include
While some stuff may be obvious, such as a photo of the two of you on your anniversary, others may not. Here are some romantic and creative ideas of items to include:
- Information about your anniversary day in the past. Check out History.com's This Day in History. This will be helpful in gathering important events from your anniversary year that you may not have written down!
- Information about the particular day or year, such as a newspaper from your anniversary day, big news headlines from the year, top 40 songs of the year, entertainment news, etc.
- Photos of the two of you that represent your everyday moments throughout the year. Everyone tends to remember to include the big events from the year, but often it's the everyday moments that bring back the most memories.
- Photos and mementos from places that you've visited together throughout the year including vacations, weekend trips, family trips, holidays, etc. However, don't limit this to just those. Do you have breakfast together every Saturday at a local diner? Include a picture of the diner and some memories (maybe a menu) of your breakfasts there. What movies did you go to in the last year? Include some of the ticket stubs from your favorites. When you open your capsule, those favorite places may no longer exist or be vastly different!
- Lists of your favorite things, interests, and activities, both personally and together as a couple. Your interests tend to change over the years and it'll be fun to look back at them in the future to see how you've changed and grown.
- Photos and mementos from your friends and family! Host an anniversary party and let your guests know that you'll be creating an anniversary time capsule. Invite them to bring along things that remind them of the two of you from this year or a card with their favorite memories, quotes, or hopes for your future.
- Letters describing your events from the year including milestones, fun tidbits from vacations, funny missteps, struggles, achievements, etc. that you've endured during your year together. Include your hopes, dreams, and predictions for your future together as well.
Choosing a Storage Container
With all your items gathered, determine the number and size of the items so that you get a container that can hold all of them. You want to get something nice and sturdy that will last through the years. Try a nice wooden box (perhaps engraved), metal box, or a small plastic storage tote.
Packing Your Items
It's important that you don't just throw items in your anniversary time capsule. Instead, take care and time with how they're stored so that they last through the years. Certain things (particularly paper products) can deteriorate over time, so store your newspapers, letters, and photos in acid free envelopes. Other mementos should go into plastic Ziploc bags to protect them. Steer clear of including things that can ruin the other contents of your time capsule. For example, if an item contains batteries then remove the batteries first as they may leak over time. Also be careful of storing any food or liquid items.
Storing Your Anniversary Time Capsule
Storing your time capsule itself is just as important as the items inside! Don't actually bury your time capsule as this could easily ruin everything inside. Instead, find a nice storage place in your house (basement, attic, closet, shed, etc.) and store your time capsule there until ready to open in the future.
Planning the Future Opening
Lastly, plan when you'll open your time capsule! If you're doing one for each anniversary, perhaps waiting 10 years is a good idea. Whatever you decide, make sure that you mark the date on your capsule box and stick to it as the more time passes, the more rewarding it will be when you both open it! :)