Congratulations on your first anniversary! Celebrating your first anniversary is amazing - from reminiscing about your wedding day memories to sharing bites of your wedding cake. When it comes to planning the perfect celebration or gift though, it often feels like nothing but stress.
If you're anything like me, you're on a quest for a unique, yet incredibly romantic first anniversary gift.
As cliche as it may sound, the most important thing to remember is that it's the thought that counts. No matter what gift you choose, put some time and thought into how you can give it that personal touch that makes it unique to your own relationship. From the pictures you choose or the words that you write, you can turn the most un-romantic gift into the most romantic one.
One good example would be to get tickets to an event or concert, but not just any event -- get tickets to a concert of the band (or local band doing a cover) that performs the song you danced to at your wedding. Or learn to cook the meal that was served at your wedding and surprise her with a romantic dinner at home served by you. Or make something by hand like a scrapbook with your favorite photos of the year, funny quotes, loving words, and hopes and dreams for the coming years together.
Here are some romantic ideas for first anniversary gifts with the traditional 'paper' and more modern 'clocks', as well as some romantic ways to celebrate the day.
Traditional Gift: Paper
- Send her a bouquet of gorgeous paper roses along with a romantic card telling her how much your first year of marriage has meant to you!
- Find a first edition of a classic book that your partner loves -- an autographed version is even better!
- Better yet, give your partner a personalized romance novel starring the two of you! Choose a story from 'mild' to 'wild', and you and your partner will be starring in your own exotic, steamy, and especially romantic love story. You can even put your photo on the cover! We ♥ this idea!
- Get tickets to a Broadway play, sports game, or some other event that the two of you would enjoy together.
- Go on a second honeymoon! Get two plane tickets (made of paper) and include a poster or flyer of the place (also paper) that you're going in the package.
- Take that second honeymoon to the same spot as your first and recreate that wedding night magic on the night of your 1st anniversary.
- If you want something completely different, try a romantic message in a bottle that you can customize and purchase or make your own home DIY version.
- A gift that's always appreciated, though perhaps not quite as creative, is a gift certificate to his/her favorite store... or a special store that they don't go to very often because it's normally considered too expensive.
- Give her a gift certificate for a day at the spa.
- Start the day off right with a little bathroom romance -- yesh, you read that right. JustPaperRoses now has 1st anniversary toilet paper!
- Make an origami bouquet of flowers and write the reasons you love her on each flower.
- Create a romantic scrapbook of your first year of marriage that includes photos of the two of you together, romantic quotes, and your thoughts and feelings of your first year.
- Create a scrapbook featuring events from your wedding day and year using these free 'day in history' sites: infoplease or history.com.
- Create a photo book of your first year of marriage. It's easy, yet timeless. In fact, most photo sites have book templates that make it easy for you to just drop in photos and add text to each page.
- Create a racy scrapbook full of sexy photos of yourself taken especially for your partner.
- Get a blown up copy of your favorite wedding photo (made on photo paper!) and have it professionally framed to display in your house.
- Try an intimate board game designed to spice up your night. Board games are made of cardboard, which is made of paper. ;)
- Turn your favorite photo of the two of you into a unique and funny custom-drawn caricature.
- Turn your favorite wedding photo into a hand-drawn sketch, watercolor, or oil painting from MyDaVinci.
- Get glamorous this anniversary with the gift of a Glamour Shots photo session. Photos are printed on paper!
- Re-create your favorite wedding portrait on your first anniversary. She'll love the chance to wear her gown again!
- Get a frame that holds two photos: your wedding photo and first anniversary photo.
- Get a frame that holds 12 photos - one for each month of your first year of marriage!
- Frame an artsy version of the reading from your wedding ceremony.
- For the geeky at heart, try giving them a much desired comic book. Or if you want to get really creative, create a comic book starring the two of you!
- Create a customized puzzle made out of your favorite wedding photos or photos from your first year. You can even create custom rubik's cubes with custom photos on each side!
- If you don't want to give a "paper" gift, simply wrap your gift in romantic wrapping paper!
Modern Gift: Clock
- A watch or timepiece engraved with "I always have time for you."
- Give her a beautiful crystal anniversary clock to display in your home. Engrave it with your wedding/anniversary date for personalization.
- Watches are perfect! You can give him a watch for his favorite sports team or a tech watch that does more than just tell the time. Give her a dressy watch to wear on your special night out.
- Tell time with a touch of class. Give her a pendant watch or give him a pocket watch.
- If you want something personalized, give an engraved silver brushed pocket watch.
- Get a countdown clock and set it to countdown to your real gift, such as a second honeymoon, a weekend getaway, or a romantic night on the town.
- Design a custom watch for your partner. Many jewelers allow customization services where you can design the perfect watch for your partner.
- Relive the past. Re-watch your wedding video, look at your wedding album together, and reflect on the last year.
- Take a 2nd honeymoon.
- Do 'one' thing that you've always wanted to do together.
- Have your cake and eat it too, when you share the top of your saved wedding cake. Make it a bit more special by going back to your reception site for dinner and enjoy your cake for dessert.
- Have your wedding cake recreated on a smaller scale to enjoy together!
- Spend 'one' night at a luxurious hotel recreating that wedding night magic.
- Give her a single red rose (or whatever flower you used in your wedding) to celebrate 1 year of marriage.
- Set up a memory box for the future and include memories from your first year of marriage. Each year on future anniversaries, include a few items from that year and relive the past memories.
- Create an anniversary time capsule!
Homemade Gift Ideas
- Since the 1st anniversary traditional gift is paper, create a scrapbook documenting your first year of marriage. Create a romantic and sexy anniversary card. Put together a bouquet of origami paper flowers.
- Frame a love poem that you wrote -- and if you're having a tough time writing one on your own, get a custom love poem written for you!
- Keep a journal throughout your first year of marriage and fill it with your thoughts, emotions, and feelings as you make it through the trials and tribulations of your first year of marriage. Give your partner this journal on your first anniversary.
- Give her a book of love coupons: either a custom-made printable book of love coupons or purchase a pre-made book of coupons.
- Create a calendar that has a mixture of photos from your wedding and your first year of marriage. Fill it photos and memorabilia with all the milestones from your wedding day throughout your first year of marriage.
- Head back to your honeymoon location and re-live it all again!
- Anywhere that you're both visiting for the FIRST time!